Marshal Joachim Murat acquired this palace in August 1805 for 570,000 francs.
He got it renovated by architects Barthélémy Vignon and Jean Thomas Thibault, and settled there with his wife Caroline Bonaparte.
Appointed King of Naples in July 1808, he sold the palace to the state. Napoleon resided from time to time in it with Josephine and Marie-Louise until 1814.
The Emperor stayed there one last time from 21 to 25 June 1815.